Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ours, Not Mine

We have been working with Dylan to not use the word mine. I try to explain to him that it is ours. It is Mommy's; it is Daddy's; and it is his. I know that he is a toddler and this is a huge word in their vocabulary; but I don't like it. I think it is especially important in Dylan's case because he doesn't have siblings, and he doesn't go to daycare.
This morning Dylan didn't want to share his blankies with his Daddy. So of course he grabbed them and said mine. I squatted next to him and said "We don't use the word mine Dylan. It is ours. Not mine. " A short period after I took Dylan's nookie out of his mouth, as I do every morning. Dylan turned with his arms stretched out grabbing for his nookie and said "NO, ours"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) I am looking forward to hearing 'kids say the darndest things' in the future... but until then, I will stay tuned to your blog for more updates! :)